Monday, July 29, 2013

Baby Quilt = COMPLETE!!!

I feel like I should title this post, It. Is. Finished. Or maybe, I did it! I did it! (Violet's favorite phrase when celebrating one of her accomplishments.) This quilt is my magnum opus. My gift of love for my new baby. I like to think of it as giving birth... with fabric. Tired of the dramatics? Ok, I'll wrap it up.


I'm soooo glad to have this project completed and no longer hanging over my head.


I've had the quilt top done for about two weeks, but kept putting off the next step: laying out the quilt backing, cotton batting, and quilt top, smoothing and straightening everything (ugh!), pinning the layers together, and then sewing through everything on my machine.


Saturday, I told myself that whatever hadn't been finished by the end of the weekend was not going to be finished because I was packing it all away until well after baby is born. Sometimes, I have to be stern with myself and set boundaries. :)


My husband keeps trying to convince me that the baby quilt being unfinished is the whole reason little E hasn't already come out yet. I was having such strong contractions after two hours hunched over my sewing machine, stitching the bias tape around the edges, that I was starting to believe him. Wishful thinking? Probably, but a small part of me fully expected my water to break with the final stitch. Alas, still nothing. I have tons of contractions every evening, but according to my doctor's office last week, absolutely no progress. :(  I'd love to meet this baby girl as soon as possible, but am mostly content to wait, so long as she doesn't have to be evicted like her big sister was. That's an experience I hope never to repeat.

So, we wait. And I sew. And my mom actually keeps her cell phone charged and handy. This is a lesson I've been trying to get through to her for years, so it's good to know there's some positive side-affects to baby not rushing to have a birthday.


Poor Violet was feeling a little jealous over all the time I spent on the baby quilt, so this morning I whipped up a miniature baby doll quilt for her Bitty Baby doll. It's super simple, and nothing fancy, but I think it turned out pretty cute.

It was one of those projects I didn't really feel like doing at the time, but as I looked at our fabric-covered dining room table, I knew if I didn't tackle it now when everything is sitting out and ready to go, it would probably never get done. Miss V was super interested in the sewing process and wanted to sit beside me and watch everything, but was then unimpressed by the final results.


That's ok. Mama had fun covering up Bitty Baby with her little bitty blanket. You're never too old to play with dolls. That's true. Right?


Now to go make some baby headbands. Because you can never have too many accessories, even if you're brand new to the world. :)

1 comment: