Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer Home Tour, 2013

Today I'd like to take you on a little tour of our home! Come on in!


If you'd like to see before and after pictures of the exterior of our home, check out this post. It's quite the transformation.

Before we go inside, I'd like to give you a little background information... We purchased our home over three years ago. It had been vacant for almost a year, and looked (and smelled) like it. In the first year and a half we gutted each room to the studs, installed new wiring, insulation, and drywall. We also refinished the original hardwood floors and replaced all the doors and trim. There's been a little removing of walls, and some widening of doorways too. It's been a messy process but we're finally (I think) through the worst of it and I've really enjoyed being able to decorate without needing to constantly remove everything for the next demo.

Once inside our front door, you're in the living room, where we've created a small entry way. During the remodeling of this room, we had to remove the coat closet, so now we make do with two rows of hooks from IKEA. I like having the low hanging hooks for purses and so little ones can learn to hang up their coats by themselves.


Our door is a craftsman-style door that I found brand new on craigslist for $75!

Next to the front door is a small sitting area and also toy storage central. I don't love that it's right inside the front door, but I'm glad we have a place to keep everything semi out of the way.



The big bay window behind the wicker chairs is home to some simple DIY decorations. A large enamel pitcher from IKEA is filled with branches from our backyard. Mason jars with tea lights inside are tied with a bit of twine and stacked on top of vintage books and a scrap of burlap.



Here's a few pictures of the rest our living room.

We've had this couch since we got married, and amazingly, I still like it! The white chair is a super old club chair that my parents got used from a friend when they were married, and I liked the shape of it, so they gave it to us and I slipcovered it. Twice. The first was when I was in college and I was going through a loud floral phase. :)  The second time I made this white slip cover out of discarded white slipcovers from the "as is" bin at IKEA. It washes up well, and has survived my two and a half year old so far. We'll see how it fares once baby #2 has a go at it.

The striped ottoman was built by my dad and upholstered by me. It also used to sport a loud floral look, but got a makeover a few years ago and is much more my current style now. The blue pillow covers on the couch were made using my simple pillow cover tutorial.

On the opposite end of the living room are french doors that lead out to our backyard. We don't really use them for outside access, so I put V's little table and chair that my dad made her for Christmas in front of the doors. She gets a lot of natural light there for her art projects and snack times.





V loves to sit in her little red chair from Pottery Barn and read or watch movies. I made the book page wreath on the wall, and still feel like I need to do something else to this corner, but I'm not sure just yet what that will be. I take a looong time to make decorating decisions!

 Lamps are something that I don't usually purchase, but rather acquire. This one was a green and gold hand-me-down from my parents, and was actually pretty cute, but did not match any room in my house, so it got a coat of glossy white spray paint and a new shade and now it couldn't be more perfect!


Also on the endtable is my mug rug. Basically, it's a giant coaster. I'd like to make more of these for gifts sometime, so I promise there will be a tutorial eventually.

I love the vintage windows above the loveseat. They are my favorite kind of decor, free! I found them on the side of the road when someone put them out with the trash. My hubby sanded off all the chippy paint and did an awesome job of hanging them securely, so we shouldn't ever need to worry about them coming down.

You can see our family monogram wall here between the kitchen and dining room archways. For more details about that project, check out this post.

We remodeled our house to have a very open floor plan, so the kitchen, living, and dining rooms are all visible to each other. The dining room was originally a bedroom, but we took down a wall, widened a doorway, and now I can hardly remember what it was like before.


The lantern-style chandelier was a DIY project we made over from a brass chandelier found at our local ReStore. The entire project cost us $14 and was super easy.

The kitchen and dining area are separated by this peninsula we had installed when we remodeled the kitchen. We used butcher block counters from IKEA for the other areas, but the peninsula was an odd shape and we couldn't find what we needed. My husband ended up building this counter out of hardwood flooring. It turned out so great and blends in perfectly with the rest of the counter top in our kitchen.









One of my favorite things about the kitchen are my white cabinets. They really help brighten up this space. I also love how we have lots of windows. Part of my milk glass collection decorates the top of our cabinets, and my most recent love is the family command center on the chalkboard wall you can seeing peeking out by our kitchen door. I don't know how we ever survived without a proper place to store all those things! My super-handy super-techy husband even installed a special usb outlet on that wall so we would have an out of the way place to charge cell phones.

There are still some things I'd like to do in the kitchen. Mainly replace the microwave cart with some additional cabinetry, and install crown molding above the cabinets. I'd also like to ditch our two-toned stove for an all white one. But when I look at how far we've come with this kitchen, I can't do anything but grin! (And be relieved that the demo is all over.) Here's a quick before and after, because I just can't resist.




Before! Ahhhhh! The horrors! There were huge cracks in the floor. The white circles on the wall were from where the previous owners had blown in insulation and then done an extremely poor job of covering up the holes with plaster. The paneling was also so badly warped in places, that you could place your hands between the boards. That is, if you were up to date on your tetanus shots. My poor husband and my dad had quite the project ripping everything out!



After! The wall between the kitchen (the one the stove is on in the before picture) and dining room (formerly a bedroom) was removed and that's how we ended up with the open kitchen and dining area. It doesn't even look like the same space.

Moving on to the master bedroom, we have another bookpage wreath over the bed. The endtables with drawers are helpful because of the very limited storage we have in this somewhat small room. I really want to paint them white. Must. get. that. done....




Over next to our little closet is an antique oak secretary desk. Maybe someday I'll get it organized enough to use it for my blogging! :)


Across the hall is our main bathroom. The before and after is pretty incredible for this room too.







This room really didn't grow. My husband just stitched a few pictures together so that it's easier to see everything at once. The room is still quite small, but now it's actually cute! And we even managed to keep that blue tub, which I now kind of love. Literally everything else in the room was replaced.

Our last stop on the tour is my daughter's room.




Her room has seen quite a few changes. It started off with a big remodel to turn it into a sweet pink and greige nursery, and then to a pink and greige toddler room. Plans are already underway to make a few more changes so that this room can eventually accommodate V and her soon-to-arrive baby sister. We'll see how that goes, fingers crossed!

I hope you enjoyed my tour. Thanks for sticking with me through all these pics and explanations! Let me know if you have a question about anything in the comments.

Linking up to:
Summer Tour of Homes Link Party with The Shabby Creek Cottage
Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop with House of Rose Blog
Weekend Wrap-Up Party at Tatertots and Jello

15 comments:

  1. Very nice home you have, I love how it's small and oh so cozy! I've never been a fan of huge homes, they seem very empty and cold to me!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's fun to see what can be done with a small space. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Sarah, you guys did an amazing job with your house. I love what you've done in the kitchen and bathroom especially. Thank you for sharing your home with us today!
    Marie@Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello fellow Pennsylvanian ;) Love what you have done with your home. That kitchen before and after is AMAZING. Love the island with all the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great eye for making the most of your spaces! Love it! Great flow and beautiful vignettes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your home, it's so neat and clean! I love the windows above the sofa, love the wreath and the topiaries in the window. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely home with sweet details :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your home! It is so cute and neat. We are getting ready to downsize to a small home and I will definitely be using your home for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! That is so sweet of you. Small homes are cozy. :)

      Delete
  8. You have a lot of windows in your home! It seems that everywhere you look, there is a window. Haha! Well, that’s great because they lighten up the atmosphere of the room. Your home looks so neat and fresh. You don’t have to exert so much effort in decorating it because it already looks beautiful!
    Silva London @ Renewal by Andersen

    ReplyDelete