When we bought the house, the walls were an almost neon yellow (they look much more subtle in this picture), and the hardwood floors were covered in a dirty brownish-orange shag rug.
We ripped out the drywall, had the room re-wired, added outlets, insulation, new drywall on walls and ceiling, and refinished the hardwood floors.
And this is how V's room looked when we brought her home from the hospital! This photo is stitched together from a few photos, so that's why the room suddenly looks bigger. It's not, I promise. The dimensions are about 9'x 11' so it's a fairly small room.
In addition to the work we did to the room itself, I did a lot of sewing and decorating projects to turn it into the little girl nursery of my dreams. The walls got a coat of greige paint. The trim is all a nice bright white.
The crib was a $10 yardsale find that we sanded and coated with a soft light pink spray paint. This felt like a gutsy move for me, because I tend to always think about what will be most practical, and obviously, a pink crib is not very versatile and would need repainted if we ever have a boy. But I'm so glad we went ahead and painted it pink. It was just such a fun little detail that made the room unique. I have to admit though, I was really glad not to have to repaint this crib when I found out baby #2 is also a girl. I loved it so much, and it was kind of a pain to paint the first time.
The crib skirt is made of eyelet lace fabric which I bought by the yard and then gathered on my sewing machine and finished off the top edge (the part hidden under the mattress) with white bias tape. I had a coupon for the fabric, so even though I needed several yards (I think I bought seven yards?) I was able to make the crib skirt for about $25. Not too bad, if you've priced a lace crib skirt recently. Also, it was nice to be able to customize the length of the crib skirt so that it perfectly touched the floor. I'll do a post about how I made the crib skirt length adjustable sometime soon.
The rug was from Ikea. I think it cost about $30. It is a flat woven rug, so it doesn't offer any cushioning from the hardwood floors, but it does warm up the room a little and matched the walls really well.
The floral wreath over the crib was a decoration at our wedding. I made several for our wedding and spent so much time on them, I could never bear to get rid of them, even though I couldn't imagine using them again. When I decided to use pale pink, white, and cream as the colors for V's nursery, I knew that one of the wreaths had to be in her room. I love that there's something from our wedding decorating the nursery.
The glider and ottoman were a lucky craigslist find at only $25. They were dusty, but in otherwise perfect condition. I managed to take the cover off the chair and run it through my washer. Made me nervous I would ruin it, but it came out great. For the ottoman, I took some heavy fabric I had bought for the room, laid it over the existing footrest material, and used one of those super heavy duty staplers to staple the edges of the fabric to the underside of the ottoman.
The little white table by the glider was one my in-laws were getting rid of. We brought it home and gave it a coat of white spray paint and it made a nice petite place to rest a the vintage lamb lamp on top of.
This vintage lamb lamp was from a local antique store. I think I paid $25, and then I covered the painted on blue ribbon with a brown velvet ribbon to make it better match the room. I love the vintagy-ness (yes, that's a word) of velvet ribbon!
Another project I did for this room, was putting V's name on the wall. I bought round embroidery hoops from the craft store, and used Wonder-Under and fabric leftover from her quilt to make the letters of her name, which I then put inside each hoop and hung on the wall. I'll be doing the same thing soon with E's name, so I plan to post a tutorial on how to make this project in the future.
Other details of this room: the crib bumper is a white mesh bumper, which I liked because the baby can still breathe even if their face is right up to it, but prevents little arms and legs from wiggling out between the rails. The curtains are from Ikea. They're a gauzy, creamy fabric which I don't think they sell anymore. Mine were originally used in the living room of our apartment, but worked better in this room when we moved. Also, the dresser was a craigslist find which we painted white and added new hardware to. There's a fun story behind that dresser which I'll be sure to share with you sometime in it's own post. (Hint: it once belonged to a now-famous blogger!) We painted it as one of our very first paint sprayer projects, and needless to say, it needs some serious touch-ups, which we plan to accomplish before Baby E's arrival. I'll be sure to keep you posted.
Let me know in the comments if you have any questions I can answer about this room. I'll be blogging soon about the way the room looks now that V is a toddler, and then I plan to blog the changes we're making to take this room from a toddler room for one, into a shared toddler and baby room for our two girls.
Linking up to:
Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop at House of Rose Blog