Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Baby Quilt Fabric

Fabric in the mail always makes for a happy day.



I ordered these fabrics from fabric.com for Baby E's quilt. They are so cute!



Quilting isn't my usual creative outlet, but I decided when I was expecting Miss V that I wanted to make each of my kids a baby quilt. I made one for V using a Tumbler or Thimble pattern, and for being an amateur quilter, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. I don't have a good close-up of the quilt, but here you can see a little of it with a three week old V resting on it. :) Ack! How has she gotten so big?




V's quilt is a mixture of pink, raspberry, cream, green, and taupe. The toile fabric has little lambs on it, which was a theme I used just a little bit in her room.

For our soon to arrive Miss E, I decided to go with fabrics in pink, cream, teal blue, and raspberry. There's also a very subtle bunny theme going on with some of Miss E's possessions, similar to the lamb theme I did for V. I was thrilled to find a fabric with all my colors in it, with some very tiny bunnies hanging onto balloons. Again, it's subtle, but I know it's there, and someday E will too. Just a little something extra to personalize her quilt and make it different from V's. Since the girls will eventually share a room, I wanted to make their quilts and things coordinate, but still have some differences, so they will each have their own personal touch in the room.



I still haven't decided what quilt pattern I'm going to use, which is probably a major quilting rule or something that I am now breaking. I keep pinning ideas on pinterest, but I haven't found "the one" just yet. It has to be something pretty simple because I am not super precise when cutting quilt pieces. I try! But it just never seems to come out all perfectly at the corners like I see on quilts made by more experienced quilters.



This fabric from Sarah Jane Studios is so cute. I love the little saying, "just stay little" that is repeated all over the fabric. What parent hasn't thought that at least once?



I'm mostly content with being a good-enough quilter, and hopefully my girls won't mind the imperfections, but just treasure their quilts as keepsakes from their babyhoods. I'm a poky quilter though, so I need to get a move-on with this project! Baby E will be here before I know it! :)

4 comments:

  1. Shut. up. Dying!! It's going to be beautiful, and so is she! Just like big sister. I'm going to have to get some of that Sarah Jane fabric with the "just stay little..." on it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go crazy over all the Sarah Jane art prints too. I have one for V's room and think I may need to get some more. Have you ever checked out her etsy shop?

      Delete
    2. It has been awhile since I've looked, but I think I need to take another look!

      Delete
  2. These have to be some of the cutest fabric pieces I have ever seen! I cannot wait to see the quilt! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/05/give-me-goods-monday-link-party-10.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete