Thursday, May 9, 2013

$14 Lantern-Style Chandelier Makeover and some Dining Room Pics

This is the tale of a sad, brassy light fixture that was given a new lease on life.


We picked up this little beauty at our local ReStore on a 50% off day, so we only paid $6! The electrical components were all in good shape, but she wasn't much to look at.


Most of the lights we looked at with this lantern style had metal braces between the glass panes that were soldered onto the glass, meaning that the glass was permanently attached to the brass parts and could not be removed. When we saw that this one had removable glass panes, we knew it would be a good candidate for a makeover with a can of ORB (oil rubbed bronze) spray paint.

This is what happens when two DIY dorks get a kid-free night at home alone...


SPRAYPAINT! (Can I still claim to be a normal and yet admit that this may be my favorite picture ever of my hubby and me?)

I'd seen a similar fixture online and had considered buying it, but had yet to pull the trigger. Lighting is so dang expensive!

We took all the pieces apart, and used painters tape to tape off the electrical components. Then we gave all the brass-colored parts (cord and all) several light coats of ORB.



Here's the finished product with our little DIY'd light fixture!


I like it! And it was only a total cost of $14! Six bucks for the light fixture and about eight for the can of ORB.

I think it really adds a nice dose of vintage charm to our dining room.


Excuse the wrinkled tablecloth, but unless your name is Better Homes and Gardens and you want to put my home in your magazine, I'm not gonna iron for you. ;)



Here's a little side-by-side shot of the light fixture I'd been eyeing online, and our DIY'd version.


I'd say it's pretty much an exact match!


Love it!

Linking up to:

Inspire Me Please Blog Hop at House of Rose

Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up

Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party

4 comments:

  1. It looks really so simple and classic dining tablecloth and it is really adorable.
    Their is a saying that "Simple living and high thinking" so from my side I just love your ideas.
    keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job! I love it! Thank you for sharing. Our Simply Create Link party is going on right now. I would love to have you link up, as I'm sure my followers would like to see what you created too. Hope to see you soon!

    Melissa
    redflycreations.com

    ReplyDelete